A Standardized Patient (SP) participates in the teaching and assessment of medical students at the University of Michigan Medical School.
Standardized Patient Program activities offer students the opportunity to develop, practice and enhance their medical interviewing skills, communication skills and physical exam techniques.
The Standardized Patients will be trained extensively to portray a specific case for which the student will do a brief medical interview and/or a focused physical examination. Standardized Patients are trained on how to evaluate/assess the student's performance. Standardized Patients are also trained to lead the students in a debriefing session regarding their performance.
- Meet specific case criteria (IE: demographics).
- Availability for both training and interview/exam sessions of event.
- Ability to undergo a physical exam (which involves wearing a hospital gown).
- Reliable, punctual and dependable.
- Have excellent communication skills and be willing and able to provide students with constructive feedback regarding their performance on the exercise.
- Educational training and/or professional experience in health professions, communication, behavioral sciences or education preferred.
SPs are scheduled based on the students' curricular schedules. Dates are provided as far in advance as possible.
Trainings and events typically run during the week, Monday-Friday, between the hours of 7a-6p. Any scheduling outside of this window is provided notice
All SPs are temporary employees of the University of Michigan Medical School, however do not receive any additional benefits associated with the University.
Apply: University of Michigan's Standardized Patient Program-APPLICATION
- Ensure you fill out this form completely. Our HR representative may call you for additional information/screening depending on our current recruitment needs. We match patient cases with SPs using such criteria as age, gender, etc. If we do not contact you right away we will keep your information on file for the future and contact you if there is an opening for a case matching your profile.